Saturday, August 1, 2009

Cranberry Habanero Chutney

This recipe is wonderful with Christmas turkey, both for Christmas dinner and left over sandwiches.

1 12- ounce bag of cranberries (I usually use frozen)
1 1-pound can of crushed pineapple, packed in juice
2 Habanero chiles (or Scotch bonnets) seeded and minced
¼ cup cider vinegar
½ cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts (I don’t usually use walnuts)

In a heavy pot, combine all the ingredients except for the walnuts. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, over a low to moderate heat, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes.
Stir in walnuts, and then remove from the heat and let cool. (This is where I usually put it into jars for canning but use quickly and store it in a very cold place). Store the chutney in a covered container in the refrigerator. Let stand for 3 or 4 days before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment